Our Swiss hotel management school’s heritage in hospitality education.

For 55 years, the EHL Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality (SSTH) has been delivering Swiss-quality hotel management education and raising the level of professional education for the hospitality and tourism industry with higher academic achievements and an international outlook.

1966

Dr. Markus Christoffel founds the Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality (SSTH)

1969

Study program launched for students with higher entry qualifications, forerunner of the current "Swiss Professional Degree in Hospitality Management"

1972

First special courses in English introduced for international students

1979

Business and tourism college founded in Chur; launch of tourism course with Swiss state-approved vocational qualification

1991

SSTH acquires the Spa Hotel Passugg as its new hotel school facility

1992

Partnership with the University of Delaware for a bachelor’s degree

1993

“Gastgewerbliche Fachschule Graubünden” hotel and restaurant college founded in Chur; SSTH launches a new vocational basic training course in hospitality

2000

Purchase of majority shares in SSTH by Arabella Switzerland AG

2008

First Bachelor course offered on the Passugg campus in conjunction with Queen Margaret University

2012

New collaboration with Edinburgh Napier University offering an integrated course of Bachelor studies

2013

Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) Group acquires SSTH

2015

SSTH is integrated into the new organizational structure of holding company “EHL AG”

New gastronomy concept (culinary arts) launched with focus on sustainability; school-operated, in-house restaurants (outlets) opened

Preparatory year introduced for entry to the College of Professional Training and Education

2016

SSTH celebrates its 50th anniversary

2018

SSTH HF graduates can now transfer into EHL's Bachelor program and finish their degree in 3 semesters, including 2 semesters on EHL Campus Passugg.

2019

EHL Haute Ecole offers its Bachelor students the opportunity to complete a portion of the program at EHL Campus Passugg

Spa Hotel Passugg: Early History

1883

After the Passugg mineral springs are rediscovered when a passion for the Alps develops around the turn of the 20th century, the former guest house nearby is converted into the Spa Hotel Passugg with 64 rooms and 92 beds. It also contains a lobby, a meeting room, various activities rooms and of course the “Passugger Stübli” restaurant.

SSTH_history_Passugger_stuebli

1896

Spa house with sampling room built over the Rabiosa Gorge for guests wishing to stroll to the mineral water spring.

1901/1902

Spa hotel extended by 40 extra rooms, 52 beds and additional bathing cubicles.

1903

Villa Schönfels built with 26 rooms and 26 beds.

1909/1910

Northern wing added along with more mineral baths and water therapy rooms.